Also known as St. Mary’s Thistle, (Silybum marianum) grows wild and found throughout the world. It is a safe tonic for just about everyone. The Milk Thistle seed is the part of the plant that is used and it is filled with fatty acids with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It is a primary remedy utilized to protect the liver and treat a wide range of liver disorders:
- protects the liver, pancreas and kidney with chronic kidney disease
- cirrhosis of the liver
- direct impact on the secretion and release of bile
- encourage milk production to begin and increase
- soothe and protect irritated or inflamed tissue
- help with fatty degeneration of the liver (high fructose syrup)
- improve digestion of fatty foods
- type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and hypoglycemia
- anticancer effects in skin, cervical, prostate, bladder, colon, breast carcinoma, hepatocellular carcinoma, laryngeal squamous carcinoma cells.
Dietary Suggestion: seeds 10g or less, 2tbl/day. Toast the seeds, grind them down and add them to cereal, granola, muffins or anything you desire. Also comes in tablets, encapsulated, tinctures, and powders.
CONTRAINDICATION: people allergic to chicory, sunflower, lettuce, coreopsis, dahlias and daisy.